On May 13, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Shane Kerr <sh...@time-travellers.org> wrote:
> I thought it was best practice to block SMTP from residential
> customers? This is the case for my past 3 ISPs (although one had an
> opt-out if you really wanted to run a mail server).

It's probably not a good idea to descend into flames on this here. This is
certainly accepted common practice, but it does cause a lot of operational
problems as well, not the least of which is that it means ISPs have to operate
firewalls to block traffic from their customers. I don't think we are in a
position to advise against this practice, but it's entirely orthogonal to the
PTR record question, so we shouldn't factor it into the discussion.