Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 02:34:43PM +0000, Ray Bellis wrote:
> "But given the DNS message format, the name server cannot find the class
> until it knows the name."
>
> I don't believe that this is relevant.  I do think that putting the
> class and type fields after the variable length name field in a question
> or in an RR was an unfortunate choice.
>
> However I think it's a long stretch to get from there to assigning any
> blame on the packet format for any failure of the class field to fulfill
> its potential.

Well, the point is that the class can't do the job it was supposed to
(select one of many parallel delegation sets) because the names are
prior to the classes.  I didn't intend to blame anything, but to
suggest that if names were supposed to be subsidiary to classes then
being able to tell which class you were in before selecting the name
would be handy.

For example, suppose that instead of the IDNA kludge (I think even the
authors will concede this description -- no disrespect to the effort
intended), we had used a class to indicate additional conventions for
name matching and so on.  This would have been a big help, if only
because case folding outside ASCII is sort of a pain in the neck.  But
you can't do any of that, because instead of classes actually
differentiating name spaces, the whole tree is expected to be
basically the same across classes.

I suspect that the real goal was to make the DNS useful for
non-Internet networking technologies, and the idea was that anyone
using these various other technologies would likely have Internet
presence as well.  As a practical matter, though, the Internet
technology basically swallowed everything else anyway.  The one
counter-example that's widely deployed we have is mDNS -- it basically
uses a piece of the Internet technology that doesn't really work at
Internet scale and effectively makes the network function differently.
Yet a different class was not selected; instead, we got a new protocol
with a wire format and operational conventions very similar to
traditional DNS.

I'll try to make all of this clearer in the next go-round.  Thanks for
the comment!

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com