When I wrote the problem statement I tried to do my best to document the
implications of various actions that might be taken, including the 6761
registry.   I think I did that in the "Domain Name Purity" section.
Closing that registry is certainly something the IETF could do.   However,
there are significant implications if we do so, and we should understand
those implications and either be prepared to do something to address them,
or else accept that there will be consequences for not addressing them.
We should not simply blithely close the registry thinking that that will be
the end of the matter.