On Mon, 16 May 2016 14:23:49 -0700, Brian Somers wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I work at OpenDNS.  We saw a DoS attack in Miami on Friday night around
>10-11:00pm PST, consisting of UDP DNS requests for AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD where each
>of AAA, BBB, CCC and DDD are three digit numbers not greater than 500.
>
>Each query was answered with an NXDOMAIN by the root servers,   Although our
>resolvers cached the NXDOMAIN for 1 hour (we cap negative responses at 1 hour
>despite the larger SOA MINIMUM) it was ineffective in reducing the load on the
>root servers as every varying query was another root server request.
>
>We eventually blackholed all TLDs from 000 to 500 to stifle the problem
>(locally delegating them to 127.0.0.1 where we don’t listen).
>
>However, during the attack, we also saw a huge number of TCP sockets in
>TIME_WAIT talking to root servers (probably all root servers).  I’m curious if
>
>1.  Are root servers doing some sort of tar pitting where they send a TC and
>then firewall port 53?

Being asked to retry with TCP sounds like Response Rate Limiting (RRL).

See for example
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00994/0/Using-the-Response-Rate-Limiting-Feature-in-BIND-9.10.html

The KB article talks about doing it in response to a large number of
NXDOMAINs per unit time, as it sounds like you encountered.

   -John Heidemann