Brian Somers <bsom...@opendns.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi Brian!

> However, during the attack, we also saw a huge number of TCP
> sockets in
> TIME_WAIT talking to root servers (probably all root servers).  I’m
> curious if
>
> 1.Are root servers doing some sort of tar pitting where they send a TC
> and then firewall port 53?

This TIME_WAIT problem is a normal consequence of making lots of short-
lived TCP connections for which you initiated the close, i.e. a
tragic mismatch between what a recursive DNS resolver needs and what
TCP provides.

The standard TIME_WAIT period is huge compared to typical segment
lifetimes. You can reduce it using sysctl on FreeBSD but not Linux.
Linux instead has a couple of options to recycle TIME_WAIT sockets, one
of which is (IME) ineffective in this kind of situation, and the other
is reportedly unsafe.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--