On 11/17/16, 08:49, "Matthew Pounsett" wrote:
>On 17 November 2016 at 06:57, "joel jaeggli" wrote:
>
>>A decade is well within the service range of all sorts embedded systems.
>
>Service range, sure.  But back-room storage range?

The day before I flew here I took time to unbox a printer my wife bought in
November 2015.  She must have bought it from some overstock retailer on a whim,
once it arrived it just sat.  Upon opening the box, it looked like the unit
might have been manufactured in 2011 or so, meaning, 5 years on the shelf.  I
mention this as a data point - in the consumer electronics world, things might
be boxed for quite a while in the retail channel.

(And we wonder why protocol enhancements take time to roll out!)

There's been a lot of research consideration of how shelved or otherwise
disconnected devices catch up.  I recall 20 years ago this topic was amongst
the issues in the labs where I worked, the usual use case involved submarines
surfacing.  (Not after 10 years, but after some considerable time.)  There's
the TALINK thing (TYPE58) in the registry of resource record types which lists
Wouter Wijngaards as a reference (as opposed to a document ;)).

I deal with a lot of dusty stuff.  If there's dust on the unit, you know it's
going to need some care and feeding until it's back up to date.  I don't expect
to be able to have an automated process in all cases.

As Matt said, for the global public DNS root zone's secure entry points, there
are multiple sources for it.  Anyone trying to start vintage equipment will be
able to manually run it.  If someone doesn't know how to do this, they'll
probably donate the box to GoodWill and take the tax write off.

(I have a 1988 RCA 19" TV with the old-US-style tuner.  I can get images on it
but I need to hook up a bunch of signal converts to do that.  But the space it
used and the power it draws makes it a better economic choice to put it into a
landfill - as the prices for the materials in it decline below the level where
recycling is beneficial.)