Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org> wrote:

> There's been a lot of research consideration of how shelved or otherwise
> disconnected devices catch up.  I recall 20 years ago this topic was
> amongst the issues in the labs where I worked, the usual use case
> involved submarines surfacing.

One example which comes up a lot on the LEAPSECS mailing list is radio
transmission sites, where hardware is kept on the shelf as a cold spare
for installation by non-expert remote hands in case the live equipment
lets out its magic smoke.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Viking, North Utsire, South Utsire, Forties, Cromarty, Forth, Tyne: Westerly