On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> In message <CAH1iCip=JKo4-WiMttKDNs3v_8KzP0PTd13KSPtzL6N7pPHWWQ@
> mail.gmail.com>
> , Brian Dickson writes:
> > --f403045fbba86cf7240547f82103
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> > > Because your testing is incomplete.
> > >
> > > Go add a empty zone (SOA and NS records only) for alt to your
> > > recursive server.  This is what needs to be done to prevent
> > > privacy leaks.
> > >

> > Here are some possible alternatives (to having the empty zone be named
> > "alt.").
> >
> > First: make the locally served empty zone be "empty.as112.arpa".
> >
> > Or, second method: have the DNAME RDATA be "alt.empty.as112.arpa", and
> the
> > locally served zone be the same name.
>
> Which does not work.  If you are serving up a local
>
>         ALT. SOA ...
>         ALT. NS ...
>         ALT. DNAME alt.empty.as112.arpa.

No, I am saying the following:
In the root, assume the existence of "ALT. DNAME alt.empty.as112.arpa."

Locally, serve your desired content (for what would be reachable below
"alt") at:

ALT.EMPTY.AS112.ARPA SOA ...
ALT.EMPTY.AS112.ARPA NS ...
FOO.ALT.EMPTY.AS112.ARPA <RRTYPE> <RDATA>
etc

The second DNAME would be for convenience only, so your local zone name
isn't causing too much confusion.

It does not matter one whit what that zone name (as the DNAME RDATA) would
be, so long as it is not at or beneath a real global name.

Suppose you want to use "foo.x" instead of "foo.alt.empty.as112.arpa":
$ORIGIN alt.empty.as112.arpa.
foo DNAME foo.x.

foo.x. SOA ...
foo.x NS ...
$ORIGIN foo.x
bar TXT "I am bar.foo.x, reachable via bar.foo.alt.empty.as112.arpa or via
bar.foo.alt."

The first DNAME gets you default protection via the AS112 empty zone,
assuming (the generalized you) are not doing local "alt" things.

The local service of "alt.empty" over-rides the insecure empty zone, but
does not block the validation path down to it.

The second DNAME is for convenience only, or potentially for welding some
locally served "homenet" onto "homenet.alt".
(The latter I am pointing out the feasibility of, not advocating for.)

Brian