In message <CAH1iCiq0bAiyZU0SqxWn7vH=gbhdhkn78zs-1412dhasffo...@mail.gmail.com>
, Brian Dickson writes:
> --001a1140fee44d9e500547f98cf1
>
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>

> > In message <CAH1iCip=JKo4-WiMttKDNs3v_8KzP0PTd13KSPtzL6N7pPHWWQ@
> > mail.gmail.com>
> > , Brian Dickson writes:
> > > --f403045fbba86cf7240547f82103

> > > Here are some possible alternatives (to having the empty zone be named
> > > "alt.").
> > >
> > > First: make the locally served empty zone be "empty.as112.arpa".
> > >
> > > Or, second method: have the DNAME RDATA be "alt.empty.as112.arpa", and
> > the
> > > locally served zone be the same name.
> >
> > Which does not work.  If you are serving up a local
> >
> >         ALT. SOA ...
> >         ALT. NS ...
> >         ALT. DNAME alt.empty.as112.arpa.
> >

> No, I am saying the following:
> In the root, assume the existence of "ALT. DNAME alt.empty.as112.arpa."

So how do you get the DNAME returned without leaking a qname?
Answer:  You don't with current nameservers.

To prevent leaking you need to have something that regularly asks
for ALT/DNAME so that the answer is in the cache before the first
*.alt name comes along or you special case *.alt, make a DNAME query
for ALT instead of *.alt then resume the original query processing.

That is new code just to avoid a insecure delegation in the root
zone when we know we need a insecure delegation in the root zone
for .homenet.

You also generate bigger answers, run the risk of returning YXDOMAIN
and increase the validation cost.

There is a place for that DNAME in a insecurely delegated ALT zone.
That sinks all the traffic that is not caught by the other mechanism.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: ma...@isc.org