Paul Wouters <p...@nohats.ca> wrote:

> Can you give me an example of deploying ANAME outside the zone APEX that
> is not solved by allowing a CNAME to point to a CNAME (which most code I
> think already allows anyway)

https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dnsop/current/msg19909.html

If you have a subdomain that needs to be a mail domain and a web site, you
need an MX pointing at your mail server and address records pointing at
your web server. You can't use a CNAME because they are usually different
servers.

Also, mail domains cannot in practice be CNAMEs because of the disaster of
RFC 821 / RFC 1122 mail domain canonicalization.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
Fitzroy: Easterly or northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in south. Slight or