Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 02:54:46AM -0500,
  Andrew Sullivan<a...@anvilwalrusden.com>  wrote
  a message of 74 lines which said:

The second is a non-delegation referral (sometimes described as
"referral response", as distinct from the delegation response
above), where the server is not authoritative for any portion of the
QNAME.  In this case, the referred-to zone in the Authority section
is usually[1] the root zone (.).

This is an upward referral and I tought it was frowned upon since the
ISPrime attack (MUST NOT?  SHOULD NOT?)

it is frowned upon, but the strongest we can do is SHOULD NOT, since current implementations do it, and other current implementations must expect it.

--
P Vixie