Edward Lewis <edward.le...@icann.org> wrote:

> The same issue came into play when trying to design the "Automating
> DNSSEC Delegation Trust Maintenance" - related to scaling (the parent
> has to poll the children, not the other way around).  (In "Detecting a
> Changed CDS/CDNSKEY", the parent either polls or has to have something
> out-of-DNS-band: " The delegation user interface has a button".)

Funny you should mention that - I have been thinking about it. One of the
most common reactions I have seen to RFC 7344 is the scaling issue (though
you need to be over a million signed delegations before it gets seriously
problematic, I guess).

It seems to me that a reasonable in-band mechanism would be to send a
NOTIFY to the parental agent. I can only find a little discussion of this
idea in 2014, and it wasn't very enthusiastic - there were questions like,
how do you know where to send the NOTIFY? On the other hand there are
similar questions about how you would make an out-of-band request.

(From my point of view, adding some also-notify configurations would be a
lot easier than implementing draft-latour-dnsoperator-to-rrr-protocol!)

Dunno if this is worth pursuing ...

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/  -  I xn--zr8h punycode
South Fitzroy: Northeasterly 4 or 5, occasionally 6 in east. Moderate or