On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 05:16:47PM +0000, Ólafur Guðmundsson wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Wessels, Duane <dwess...@verisign.com>
> wrote:
>

> > > On Dec 1, 2017, at 8:38 AM, Ólafur Guðmundsson <ola...@cloudflare.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I strongly disagree with your "terminology", TTL is a hint about maximum
> > caching period, not a demand or a contract.
> >
> > You say its just a hint.  If you put a TTL of 1 hour on your data, and I
> > have a recursive name server that reuses it for 2 hours, 12 hours, 5
> > days... thats okay?
> >
> > If its just a hint then we are we spending all this effort on "serve
> > stale"?
> >
> > DW
> >

> Strictly speaking yes, it is the same as when a Secondary does not update
> the zone for a long time.

An authoritiative server operator knows what the consequence of setting
SOA RDATA fields is. It isn't the same as a cache extending TTL as it
sees fit, in spite of the loose coherency among primary and secondaries.

I don't agree a downstream cache has authoritiative say about extending
TTLs (except exceptional circumstances where the authority is
unreachable ~serve-stale).

                Mukund