On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 01:12:34PM -0500,
 Steve Crocker <st...@shinkuro.com> wrote
 a message of 41 lines which said:

> Shortening TTLs increases the amount of traffic between the recursive
> resolvers and authoritative resolvers and lengthens the response time for
> some queries.  However, I don’t think there is any service guarantee with
> respect to an individual query that is violated by shortening the TTL.
>
> Lengthening a TTL, on the other hand, does change one of the service
> guarantees.  When there is a change in the entry in the authoritative server,
> what is the maximum time until that change is guaranteed to be propagated
> throughout the net?  This depends primarily on the TTL.  However, when the
> TTL is lengthened by the recursive resolvers, the upper bound for propagation
> of a change is similarly increased.

I fully agree about this very important difference (which is
completely missing in the RIPE Labs article). Lengthening the
TTL is a protocol violation (otherwise, we wouldn't discuss about
draft-ietf-dnsop-serve-stale). Shortening it systematically is bad
manners, and is selfish but is not a protocol violation.

We should not discuss the two in the same thread: they are very
different practices.