> On 26 Mar 2018, at 15:39, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
>
> Evan Hunt <e...@isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> These RR types have text representations and wire format representations,
>> which from a complexity standpoint seem quite harmless to implement.  There
>> are the old annoying rules about name compression and sorting, which do add
>> some complexity, but are already implemented in all the existing codebases.
>
> There's the particularly special case of WKS which has weird collision
> logic - RFC 2136 section 3.4.2.2. It's extra weird that this was specified
> in 1997 when WKS was deprecated in 1989 - RFC 1101 and RFC 1123.
>
> I fear that this will make it hard to delete WKS code because that may
> introduce interop bugs if a new server bindly allows colliding WKS records
> that an old server objects to.

Good catch. WKS would then probably need a separate document that would also
remove it from RFC 2136.

But it’s funny that we should not remove a record while this was already
written in 1989:

      An application SHOULD NOT rely on the ability to locate a WKS
      record containing an accurate listing of all services at a
      particular host address, since the WKS RR type is not often used
      by Internet sites.  To confirm that a service is present, simply
      attempt to use it.

While the special processing was added to RFC 2136 (9 years later) is really
beyond my understanding :(.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý