I have looked at the same problem Bert has, but he did present it much better than I could.  When I started thinking about this, I approached it from the point of view of "If I have to give a co-worker a document on how to build a DNS Server (Authoritative or Resolver), what would I need to give them".   I also have spent a lot of time watching the 793bis work in TCPM, which has been moving along slowly and methodically.  I felt what we would come up with would be     1. a DNSOP document which would be an implementation list for building an Authoritative or Resolver
    2. a roadmap to work on 1034bis and 1035bis, which would be a new WG.

I also realized that the second item would be brutal, painstaking, not "sexy" for most IETF standard types.

I've had lots of experience dealing with the concept of "technical debt" and a lot of this is very similar.  But we also need someone who has the skill set of a project manager, who knows how to lay out workflows.  That's not something a bunch of programmers always have.

Summary - Paul is on the right track here.    A good example is looking at what Route 53 implements (for better or for worse) and realize they implement some real minimal subset.   I think it's too small, but it's an interesting argument.

tim