On 03/31/2018 07:34 PM, Mukund Sivaraman wrote:
> All the clarifications RFCs such as NCACHE 2308, 2181, wildcards 4592,
> etc. I'd also expect TSIG, AXFR, IXFR and UPDATE to get treatment in
> "core" DNS in the same grouping as master files.

Just offhand, IPv6 stuff should be merged and consolidated here too. As
memory serves, it's currently split in two different RFCs, one which is
mostly obsolete dealing with the A6 RRtype.

>> Tbh I highly doubt if we'll have the determination to do 1034-bis given that
>> even the profile efforts did not succeed so far.
>>
>> I will in any case continue to plod away on the 'hello-dns' introduction.
>
> I think there's room for the DNS folks to do both paths, i.e., they
> don't overlap. There's room for Richard Stevens style textbook treatment
> for DNS anyway, and there's room for a current protocol draft that
> updates the old specs.

1034bis will likely take a rather long time to complete, so there's very
much value in hello-dns between now and then.

> I created a repo to collect thoughts too:
> https://github.com/muks/dnssquash/
>
> Will start by extracting the domain tree description from 1034, tweaking
> it. If it describes the squashed protocol all in one place, implementors
> can lookup things in it and that's something worth doing. It is just a
> lot of editing things into place.

Looked at the repo, and it doesn't look like it's committed yet. May be
worth having an open bug tracker item identicating what from what RFC is
currently in progress, etc. Once you've got this started, I'd like to
contribute to this work.
Michael