On 2/14/19 12:51 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 12:30:10PM -0800,
>  internet-dra...@ietf.org <internet-dra...@ietf.org> wrote
>  a message of 44 lines which said:
>
>>         Title           : Extended DNS Errors
>>         Authors         : Warren Kumari
>>                           Evan Hunt
>>                           Roy Arends
>>                           Wes Hardaker
>>                           David C Lawrence
>>      Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-extended-error-04.txt
>

>> 4.2.5.  SERVFAIL Extended DNS Error Code 5 - DNSKEY missing
>>
>>   A DS record existed at a parent, but no DNSKEY record could be found
>>   for the child.
>
> I suggest to replace "no DNSKEY record could be found for the child"
> by "no DNSKEY record for this specific key could be found for the
> child".
>
> Rationale : the current text seems to imply this code is only when
> there is no DNSKEY at all.
 I disagree. There are going to be cases where DS and DNSKEY are not
fully in sync due to key rollovers, prestaging, etc. This is not a fatal
error.
So long as one DS matches one (supported) DNSKEY, the domain is
resolvable, and is not a SERVFAIL. It is only SERVFAIL if *no* DS match
useable keys.

I would suggest "No supported matching DNSKEY record could be found for
the child"

--
Michael Sheldon
Dev-DNS Services