On Feb 20, 2019, at 4:51 AM, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
> The crux of the use case seems to be that it is commonplace for names in the
> DNS to exist for short periods of time and that for some applications a name
> that overstays its welcome can cause an operational problem.
>
> While I can understand the philosophical desire to complete the UPDATE
> specification so that it is possible to engineer around this scenario, I
> don't see the practical application. The existence of the requirement in the
> first place seems unproven (at least there are no obvious examples given);
> the scenario in which the purported operational problem arises seems likely
> to be rare; workarounds surely exist and, really, the damage in the event
> that the stars align and a temporary name does persist seems very low.
>
> If the goal is to try this out and have no impact on existing implementations
> (e.g. there is some side code that is imagined that will poll a transferred
> zone for TIMEOUT records and do local UPDATEs in order to remove RRSets that
> should not be there) then all that is really needed here is a code point for
> the TIMEOUT RR. The existence of the draft is nice since documentation is
> good, but I think "experimental" would be a better target than "standards
> track". It's surely possible that this mechanism will solve some as-yet
> unnoticed, large-scale problem and will one day be considered essential
> functionality, but I don't think we're there today. There be camels.

The goal of this is to automate name publication for situations where this is
desirable.   You’re probably not going to use this for your public servers.
See https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-srp-00
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-srp-00> (expired, but we’ll be
submitting an update soon).

I say this not to specfically support this proposal, which I think has
problems, but simply to point out that there is an itch here to scratch.   I
don’t think this is something that we need in every different kind of DNS
server, but something like this could definitely be useful in some operational
situations.   Of course it can be done out of band, but there’s something to be
said for keeping all the state in one place.   I don’t have enough operational
experience with this yet to have formed a preference.