> On 21 Feb 2019, at 6:30 am, Tony Finch <d...@dotat.at> wrote:
>
> Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>>
>> All that is missing is the automated cleanup.  DNS servers are quite
>> capable of doing that once specified how.
>
> Does it need to be per-record? Why not GC the whole RRset?

Because there are scenarios where you do want to GC as single
record from the RRset. AD has them with SRV.  Each server adds
its own SRV record to the RRset.  When a server goes away without
cleaning up you want the SRV to go but the RRset to remain.

A machine has permanent and time limited addresses.

I’m sure there will be other cases where you want selective deletion
from a RRset.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC