On Feb 21, 2019, at 2:52 PM, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
> The master could apply policy based on criteria like owner name pattern
> matching or source of the update. Garbage collection might not happen with
> the kind of split-second accuracy that I sense this mechanism's proponents
> are suggesting, but does it need to? Don't we believe that applications that
> expect more than loose coherence from the DNS are broken?

The impression that you are working from here seems to be that what is being
designed is a hacky kludge that would go well with heuristics like this.   But
what is actually being worked on here is a system that is not a hacky kludge,
and that does not have leaks, and does not rely on clever heuristics to
approximate good behavior.   Please read the service registration protocol
document I mentioned in a previous message (draft-ietf-dnssd-srp).

Granted, I am not convinced that the document we are discussing is the right
solution to the problem, but it’s an actual solution to the problem, not a
hacky kludge, and that’s definitely a good thing.