On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dick...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> \Other than blocking all-but-a-few (or all, or a few) DoT servers, I do
> not believe anyone has proposed explicit downgrade triggers.

that's the downgrade I am referring to

> Or do you mean, when a DoT connection is blocked by e.g. a firewall (or
> other network enforcement device), that an RST is generated? I believe the
> RST requires sequence number validation before it can be processed by the
> TCP stack, which means the entity doing the RST generally needs to be in
> the data path. Other than "lucky guess" or "high volume attempts", I don't
> believe RST to be a serious threat.

path manipulation attacks are real. arp attacks.. bootp attacks.. rouge
access points. stingray. all kinds of things. unauthenticated network
packets are just that: unauthenticated. RST (or blackhole) is a good
indication that a path isn't going to work - its not a good indication of
who is expressing that policy (or whether it is a policy at all).

Anyhow - I'm really not trying to amp up this thread.. I just felt that
there were a few relevant points to the discussion that had not been
introduced.