Hi John,

On 9 Jul 2019, at 10:36, John Bambenek <j...@bambenekconsulting.com> wrote:

> If the proposal is to create a standard by which to put contact
> information into DNS records, what venue would you suggest?

I think that the protocol aspects of this are the least difficult ones. If this
is fundamentally the data governance issue that I think it is, I think it would
make a lot more sense to align exactly with what is happening in RDAP, treating
self-publication as a new profile and DNS as a possible transport. If there's
data to publish, thinking about transport afterwards seems far more sensible
than inventing a transport and hoping that the data will follow.

RDAP profiles are not being discussed in the IETF. I think this is a feature.

>> I also agree that without any widespread incentive to implement, test and
>> maintain, the data is going to be noisy and sparse to the point where it's
>> useless for any practical use anyway.
>
> You could say the same for SPF.

There's an operational incentive to publish SPF records: the need for
recipients to accept legitimate mail that is being sent. I don't know what the
operational incentive is to publish "whois" data in zone files.

Joe