> From: Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org>
> DNS is loosely coherent. DiS does not work when the sources of data are not
> coherent.

Do you mean that the glue is not uniquely determined because the
authoritative server merges multiple zone information or the data
cached by the resolver part of the DNS server ?

> From: Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org>
>> I have a question why we did not include signature validation function
>> to delegation information ?
>
> Delegating NS records because the zone would become big and people didn’t
> want to have TLD zones have signatures for each delegation.

  In case of TLDs with many signed (with DS) delegations, the increase
  of DiS RR is not a problem because DiS is a part of DS RRSet.

> We could sign
> delegating NS records as you can determine delegating vs top of zone by
> looking at the signer field of the NS RRset.  You would then have to deal
> with the case where you have signed parent and unsigned child and a referral
> to the grand child.

Do you mean that digest calculation is difficult because RRSets with
the same name come from servers in multiple layers and are mixed?

> You would have to stop following the referral, verify
> the child is unsigned, then restart following the referral.  This is a lot
> of work for very little benefit.

many domains are 3 layered.

root: signed  (with signed referrals)
TLD:  signed  (with signed referrals)
example.com: unsigned (no referral)

Then, example.com can't be validated, but at least it's nice to know
that the referral from the TLD is correct?

> Glue records would need a different signature type and would need to compute
> the signature differently to prevent it being used in a replay attack when
> the RRset differ.

I would like to read such draft (idea).

> I suppose you could use the same algorithm as it would
> encourage people to keep data coherent. You would still have the parent,
> child, grandchild issues from above.

If they don't share authoritative servers,
referrals (NS RRSet and glue) are uniquely determined.

>> And the idea may offer the signature for root priming data.
>
> It can’t.  There is no requirement for addresses records for nameservers
> for a zone to exist in the zone, as glue or not, even if the nameservers
> are below top of zone.  Glue is only required for delegations.

Yes. I agree. It's another discussion.

--
Kazunori Fujiwara, JPRS <fujiw...@jprs.co.jp>