On 4/14/2021 11:19 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
On 15 Apr 2021, at 07:17, Tony Finch<d...@dotat.at>  wrote:

John Levine<jo...@taugh.com>  wrote:
On the other hand, all of the sloppy coding people use to handle
compressed names is embarassing.
I don't think it's entirely fair to blame the coders who make these
mistakes, because a very large number of excellent programmers have made a
mess of DNS name decompression. When I find out about new DNS code the
first thing I do is look at the name parser to see if it successfully
avoids these traps and pitfalls, because it's a good indication that the
programmer has learned from their own or others' mistakes, or has much
greater than average ability to write attack-resistant parsers.

It seems worthwhile to try to help future coders not to mess it up.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch<d...@dotat.at>   https://dotat.at/
Gibraltar Point to North Foreland: Northerly or northeasterly 3 to 5.

+1. That would be a pretty good way for the IETF to help clean the mess. That, and maybe a DNS site that would serve the test vectors.

-- Christian Huitema