On Thu, 15 Apr 2021, Christian Huitema wrote:
Adding test vectors would help, especially broken vectors.

+1. That would be a pretty good way for the IETF to help clean the mess. That, and maybe a DNS site that would serve the test vectors.

In this case I think it's a reasonable idea but I echo jck's concern that test vectors can turn into de-facto standards, particularly when the tests and the text turn out not to exactly match.

On the other hand, is it valid for a DNS compression pointer to point forward in the message? Why or why not?

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY