On 4/15/2021 5:39 PM, John R Levine wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021, Christian Huitema wrote:
Adding test vectors would help, especially broken vectors.

+1. That would be a pretty good way for the IETF to help clean the mess. That, and maybe a DNS site that would serve the test vectors.

In this case I think it's a reasonable idea but I echo jck's concern that test vectors can turn into de-facto standards, particularly when the tests and the text turn out not to exactly match.

A test server could easily have a fuzz option...

On the other hand, is it valid for a DNS compression pointer to point forward in the message?  Why or why not?

I had to implement a packet parser a few years ago, and I rather naturally added a test that the pointers had to be backward. Not doing that looked like inviting trouble. I tested that on a fair number of root server traces and never found an issue. So I tend to think that's a fairly safe test.

-- Christian Huitema