On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:28 PM Shivan Kaul Sahib <
shivankaulsa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephane!
>

>> Section 4.1: you do not mention a recommended name for the
>> subdomain. Should we suggest a name starting with an underscore, to
>> limit the risk of collisions and to emphasize it is not a host name?
>> (On the other hand, some users may have a limited DNS provisioning
>> interface, which enforces a LDH restriction.)
>>

> This draft is intended to be a survey of existing techniques and broad
> recommendations that can be derived from the survey (hence we only discuss
> the value of targeted domain verification). Our thought was that we should
> leave concrete best practices for a later draft.

Shivan: a survey is the initial goal. But my thinking was: assuming there
is interest in the draft first (which there appears to be), we could work
on recommendations in a later iteration of this draft (and not a new one,
although I could be persuaded).

Yes, Stephane, we were envisioning recommending an underscore label. Of
course, that leads to how to avoid collisions in that space, and whether we
need to establish a registry of application service names.

Section 5: should we also add that, specially if the zone is not
>> signed, multi-vantage-point checking is recommended (Let's Encrypt
>> already does it)?
>>

> Interesting, I raised an issue here:
> https://github.com/ShivanKaul/draft-sahib-domain-verification-techniques/issues/18

Yeah, that's a good idea.