On Wed, 28 Jul 2021, Ralf Weber wrote:

 First, as Mark said, sibling glue is sometimes needed.
It is only needed for broken circular dependancies, which we don’t care about.

They are not broken until you decide "we don't care about" :)

 Second, the server will most likely not know whether or not the glue
 is needed, it will just include it so it does not have to follow the
 complicated looping zones to determine if it is needed or not. Since it
 does not know if it is needed or not, it cannot make a smart decision
 on whether setting TC=1 is overkill or not. Thus the document saying
 "also for sibling glue, just set TC=1 if it does not fit".
Ok that is not what the draft says. It says you must include sibbling
glue, no matter what. Setting TC=1 if you include sibling glue and it can not
fit it is something different. That probably makes sense for all referall
where glues don’t fit.

We will look at improving the wording in the draft. The draft is not
about changing the rules of glue - we just thought to include some of
it to help implementers and to help explain why it is important to set
TC=1 even if you think it is harmless to not include some or all glue.

Paul