Moin!

On 28 Jul 2021, at 16:13, Paul Wouters wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2021, at 08:22, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I tend to agree with this.
>>
>> There are a lot of ways a delegation can be non-functional (for example the
>> circle of dependencies can be as big as you like, can incorporate third
>> cousin twice removed glue, etc) and it makes more sense to me to let all of
>> these cases fail rather than incurring the cost of papering over just some
>> of them in the authority server.
>
> Do you want dns servers to spend extra CPU power to lookup whether this is a
> “non-functional” glue case instead of spending less CPU just looking if it
> has a glue record and adding it?
Well that is a tradeoff an implementer has to make and not something we should
define in an RFC.

> If the latter, should it do this extra work of things don’t fit to determine
> the usefulness of TC=1 for this to set it depending those circumstances or
> just set TC=1 based on size ?
Again if the packet I as the authoritative server want to deliver does not fit
I SHOULD/MUST set TC=1. However if I can and am willing to omit optional
sibling glue to make it fit that is fine also. There is authoritative software
out there that has a minimize-responses setting to allow the operator to define
that behaviour.

So long
-Ralf
——-