On Fri, 12 Nov 2021 at 20:55, Ben Schwartz <bemasc=
40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 11:18 AM Petr Špaček <pspa...@isc.org> wrote:
>
>> 2. If the new option was present in query, then DNS responder sends back
>> Extended DNS Errors option (EDE, RFC 8914) with INFO-TEXT field
>> formatted according to structured JSON specified in this draft.
>>

> I like this idea a lot.  In fact, I don't even think we need a new
> option.  It's not as if INFO-TEXT is already widely used.  We can just
> declare something like "if the INFO-TEXT is JSON, here's what it means".
>
> This also allows us to remove the "access denied" emphasis, and broaden
> our focus to explaining all kinds of resolution failures.

Sounds good to me, it requires an update to RFC8914 to add JSON in
EXTRA-TEXT.

> I also agree that requiring an HTTP URL seems out of place here.

The HTTP URL is for the end-user to report mis-classified DNS filtering of
a domain.

> I would prefer an "ID" string of unspecified contents, so that operators
> can use UUIDs, domain names holding TXT records, URIs, or whatever
> mechanism they want to identify failure types.

Yes, ID string is useful and the content can be opaque to the client. UUID
or URIs are useful for the DNS operator to identify the reason for failure.
I don't get the use of TXT records.

-Tiru