On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 07:11:38PM +0000, Paul Hoffman wrote:

recommends that the ICANN board to pick a string that will never be put into the DNS root, and thus is usable for systems like GNS.

This was, of course, the whole point of the .alt draft in the first place, at least when I was involved in preparing it.

Indeed. If you look at SAC113 and draft-ietf-dns-alt-tld, you'll see a lot of the same names.

I don't think any of us involved then cared whether it was alt or one of thousands of other strings that it could have been.

The leadning candidates were .ALT or one of the ISO 3166 User-assigned codes like .QZ, but I agree that picking one is more important than which one gets picked.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",