How to privatise the commons in names.

1) release a browser with remotely enable-able features, initially disabled
2) when you hit 95% penetration, enable the feature.

If the omnibar in the dominant browser had a selection logic akin to
nsswitch.conf or resolver.conf config options, this debate moves from a
tech governance space to a vendor decision in 3-6 months. At which point,
the additional TA and equivalence to the public suffix list is strong.

We're lucky we don't seem to have a vendor who wants to try it, because
logistically it would be extremely simple.

My point is that gethostbyname() itself is subject to code if/then/else
decisions, so the idea names are gated by protocol or functional API spec
is really moot. It's a soft agreement only.

My own hosts (laptops) still appear to honour /etc/hosts before DNS. I used
this in China for gfc reasons. So local override is also strong in this.

Would it be a tragedy if unitary namespace ideas die?

Would it be a tragedy if a single dominant vendor had a switch?