On 14/08/2022 15:57, Paul Wouters wrote:
On Aug 14, 2022, at 09:16, Stephen Farrell
<stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:

 but otherwise stuff works fine even if it can sometimes be confusing as to how kerberos realms and DNS domains do or don't map
to one another.

But that’s because foo.example in DNS maps to FOO.EXAMPLE in Kerberos
in most deployments.

I don't believe "because" is correct. I've seen many kerberos
realm names that don't map well to DNS domains. Stuff still
works. That said, I've not seen any measurement study on the
topic.

let’s say I get COCA-COLA.COM, that’s quite a different situation.

We can have all the clever mappings for DNS to support alternative
backend systems, but in the end the real issue is that “issued names”
in the DNS world won’t map to alternative owners. The only way to
guarantee that is to carve out some strings. But it will be unpopular
strings because the popular ones are taken or reserved.

My point here is that the Internet can survive two widely-
deployed standards with potentially conflicting uses of the
same names with no need for a guarantee that there's any
particular relationship between some DNS domain and kerberos
realm. (And again, I'm not saying that that "solves the
problem" - all I'm saying is that invalidates some of the
more "absolutist" arguments I've seen used.)

I'm fine that we carve out a .alt or similar and that ICANN
carve out a .internal or similar, as both make sense.

Cheers,
S.

Paul