> On 08/18/2022 10:17 PM EDT Ben Schwartz <bemasc=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org>
> wrote:
>
> Perhaps you haven't been following the W3C DID process [1]?  The
> "registrable .alt" proposal closely resembles the functionality of the DID
> "method" system, and you can see the registrations that have poured in
> there [2].  I note that some of the registered names already raise some
> notable potential for trademark collision or user confusion.

How is that DID different than the IETF's URN?  Maybe the W3C registration
process has less friction or they respond to emails faster.  One thing that
gives me pause is a note on their DID specification registry page [1] it says:
"  Portions of the work on this specification have been funded by the United
States Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate
under contracts HSHQDC-16-R00012-H-SB2016-1-002, 70RSAT20T00000010, and
HSHQDC-17-C-00019." That last contract went to Digital Bazaar.

My guess is they fall under the title Blockchain Applications for Homeland
Security Analytics [2] which is to design and prototype an ecosystem to help
law enforcment.

[1]  https://www.w3.org/TR/did-spec-registries/
[2]  https://www.sbir.gov/node/867813