On Aug 17, 2022, at 7:56 AM, Timothy Mcsweeney <t...@dropnumber.com> wrote:
> The Abstract says "a TLD label in non-DNS contexts".
> Non-dns is outside the root right?

Pedantic use of terminology is kinda important here. In this case, a name that
ends in ".alt" is never part of the global DNS because .alt will not be
delegated in the global DNS's root zone.

> The Intro says" the rightmost label, to signify that the name is NOT rooted
> in the DNS, and that it should NOT be resolved using the DNS protocol.
> Isn't that a new root called Alt?

It might or might not be, depending on what the non-DNS protocol chooses. This
document doesn't tell those protocols what they should do with names that end
in .alt.

> Maybe it was the part in 4.1 that threw me off.  where it says "(and names
> ending with the string .alt)"
> Or could be 4.1(7) where is says 'to register ".alt" names'

Yep, 4.1 is somewhat confusing.

> But this part is super-genius "These
>       ".alt" names are defined by protocol specification to be
>       nonexistent"
> I had no idea you could specify non-existance.  I'm going to have to try that!

As Ray points out, if a TLD is not in the root zone, and the root zone is
signed with DNSSEC, all names that would end in that (pseudo-) TLD are
inherently non-existent to any validating resolver.

--Paul Hoffman