Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 17, 2022, at 3:12 PM, Timothy Mcsweeney <t...@dropnumber.com> wrote:
>

>>> On 08/17/2022 2:14 PM EDT Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Intro says" the rightmost label, to signify that the name is NOT rooted
>>> in the DNS, and that it should NOT be resolved using the DNS protocol.
>>> Isn't that a new root called Alt?
>>
>> It might or might not be, depending on what the non-DNS protocol chooses.
>> This document doesn't tell those protocols what they should do with names
>> that end in .alt.
>
> Clear as mud.
> More importantly this proposal now sounds like an non-DNS un-restricted
> naming scope which puts it out the DNSOP charter right?

It is the boundary between DNS and non-DNS, both technically and semantically.
The DNSOP part is the specific name and request to IANA/ICANN to ensure it is
enshrined as not just not existing, but so that it will never exist (in the
ICANN root zone).

Once that is done, what it gets used for etc is then out of scope. It is like
an escape clause.

(Dots between and after names are moot and meaningless, only relevant in the
“presentation” format. The last label in a fully qualified domain name, whether
it is a DNS name or any other sort of domain name, is immediately below the
“root” of that name space. So ALT as the last label means what would have been
a TLD if it was in the DNS, and no extra label(s) are needed or implied.)

The label to the left of ALT would be a great place to put a namespace
identifier, with ALT itself being how DNS knows to ignore/exclude any such
names (by way of the non-existence in the DNS root zone).
But once the ALT is present, what those domains look like is no longer in scope
or of interest to the DNS community. (I don’t speak for them, of course, but
that is my understanding and expectation.)

Brian