> On Aug 17, 2022, at 12:11 PM, Timothy Mcsweeney <t...@dropnumber.com> wrote:
>

>> On 08/17/2022 2:14 PM EDT Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The Intro says" the rightmost label, to signify that the name is NOT rooted
>>> in the DNS, and that it should NOT be resolved using the DNS protocol.
>>> Isn't that a new root called Alt?
>>
>> It might or might not be, depending on what the non-DNS protocol chooses.
>> This document doesn't tell those protocols what they should do with names
>> that end in .alt.
>
> Clear as mud.

Are you asking that this document tell the non-DNS protocols how to handle
names that end in .alt? If so, please suggest text. Personally, I think it is
better to let all protocols that we don't control to make their own rules.

> More importantly this proposal now sounds like an non-DNS un-restricted
> naming scope which puts it out the DNSOP charter right?

The last bullet in <https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/dnsop/about/> feels like
this draft is part of the DNSOP charter. That's why the WG adopted the draft
and it made it to WG Last Call.

--Paul Hoffman