> [...]
>
> I guess I'd generally be ok with there being non-trivial
> hoops that need to be jumped-through for this registry, but
> yes, I know that increases the chances of squatting-like
> behaviour. I also recognise that reasonable people might
> make different predictions about this small bit of the
> future.
>
>>> Any other option will require some designated experts with some guidance
>>> for those DEs, and I'd expect it to be hard for us to agree what guidance
>>> to include in the draft or not, and I'd expect it to be hard to find DEs
>>> for this registry.
>>>
>> Yup, that's a valid concern - IANA's site speaketh thusly:
>> "If you choose Expert Review or Specification Required as the registration
>> procedure for your new registry, it can be helpful to provide guidance to
>> the “expert.” The idea is to provide the expert with guidance on naming,
>> allocation and other issues related to the protocol registry. Sometimes
>> Internet-Draft authors include the guidance directly in the draft. Other
>> times, a Working Group will decide to collect guidance for a group of
>> protocols together (for instance, see the PWE3 working group in RFC 4446)."
>> — https://www.iana.org/help/protocol-registration
>> I'd think that the guidance to the experts would be:
>> 1: Is there a specification somewhere? RFC8126 (Spec Required) says that a
>> specification should be a  "document can reasonably be expected to be
>> findable and retrievable long after IANA assignment of the requested value."
>
> Right. It's the "long after" and stability (for some random
> project) and sufficient detail (for academic pubs) I wonder
> about for the specification-required path. (I've no worries
> about the IESG approval path.) I figure we might be better
> off seeing how an RFC-required setup pans out for a bit,
> then, if it seems right, loosening that to the point where
> some DEs can ok adding entries after we've figured out what
> guidance to provide to those DEs.
>
>> 2: Does it list a name that they'd be using?
>> Great, done!
>> [ insert the Oprah Winfrey "You get a registration and you get a
>> registration" meme here —
>> https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/oprahs-you-get-a-car ].
>> It is intended to be an informational registry to help people avoid
>> conflicts, and potentially also figure out what to read to know more about
>> foo.alt - IMO they can be handed out like candy. It's better to have it
>> easy for people to get added than just squat…
>> The current IANA Considerations bit says "Expert Review" or "IESG Approval"
>> — the second bit is specifically incase there are issues with getting DEs…
>>> That said, I'd still be ok with progressing the draft if the registration
>>> rules stayed as they are now.
>> Thank you - the registry is something I've gone back and forth on, because
>> there are pros and cons…
>
> Sure - if it's only me arguing for RFC-required, then I'm
> fine with being in the rough on that aspect.

a question from our side of the fence: How would addition to the registry look
like in practice?
Would we add this to our "IANA" section in the draft? Or would we write an
email directly to IANA "out of band"?
I guess that latter as how would others (without IDs) do the former, right?
If so, when? As that would likely affect the wording in any future updates.

In general, and I assume unsurprisingly, I am happy with this version of the
alt draft.
Of course, I would be perfectly fine with requiring an RFC as well as this is
within immediate grasp for us.
But, I can also see the issue with setting the bar too high and risk having
this ignored by others.

BR
Martin