> On 22. Aug 2022, at 20:15, Paul Vixie <paul=40redbarn....@dmarc.ietf.org>
> wrote:
>

> Schanzenbach, Martin wrote on 2022-08-22 11:02:
>>> On 22. Aug 2022, at 19:07, Ray Bellis <r...@bellis.me.uk> wrote:
>>> On 22/08/2022 15:05, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> I do not see why names under .alt must be compliant standard DNS names for
>> any reason.
>
> +1.
>
> noting: by describing this as a reserved name subspace, we implicitly expect
> that the presentation form of any namespace thus enabled will be "compatible
> enough" with DNS presentation form to allow the reservation keyword (.ALT) to
> be entered or displayed, and detected. we can in the specification for the
> subspace reservation even state that implication. however, if someone wants
> to go rogue on that, we shouldn't try to stop them. (as if we could.)

But I also think that if it is expected that name systems may "go rogue" e.g.
use a new innovative new string encoding, then the registry might have trouble
listing/registering the 2LD "byte string" chosen by the name system?
So maybe Unicode provides sensible guide lines for acceptable strings under
.alt _for the registry_?

BR