Schanzenbach, Martin wrote on 2022-08-22 12:17:

So maybe Unicode provides sensible guide lines for acceptable strings under
.alt _for the registry_?
just... no. if somebody wants to put binary gibberish "under" .ALT, in a way
that browser plugins never get to see because it's not valid unicode, that is _their
problem_. we can state implications, nothing more.

I agree. It is just unclear to me how the registry itself would support this. I
am no IANA registry expert. But if any byte string is theoretically allowed as
a 2LD, then how would this look like?

i totally misunderstood you. for the 2LD, it has to be a name that the IETF is capable of registering, which means it has to be a label that would be legal under dns. for 3+LD, binary gibberish would be allowed, implicitly, by the specification's silence on that matter.

my apologies for not realizing what you were proposing.

--
P Vixie