On 23/08/2022 10:22, Andrew McConachie wrote:

The only restriction that seems reasonable to me is prohibiting zero length strings. This list convinced me other restrictions would be a bad idea.

There will be a very long tail of systems out there that do not know about ".alt".

How would those systems respond when passed a domain-style name that does not meet domain-style syntax rules (specifically those for total length and label lengths) ?

If the answer is that they return something other than EAI_NONAME (or HOST_NOT_FOUND for gethostbyname) then this needs to be considered further.

IMHO, if you want to be in a carve-out of the domain name space, you still need to play by the domain name space's technical rules, in a way that's backwards compatible with systems that don't know about the carve-out and will assume that veryverylonglabel.foo.alt _is_ a domain name.

Ray