On Aug 24, 2022, at 11:27, Schanzenbach, Martin <mschanzenb...@posteo.de> wrote:

> GNS, as in the protocol, does *not* consider "Example.gns.Alt" and
> "Example.gns.alt" to be the same name.

FYI, on many mobile phones, words at the start are automatically capitalized,
so you are going to experience many user problems if your protocol sticks with
this assumption. Punting this to the application to fix up or punting it to the
OS to configure duplicates with case differences is going to fragment how well
gns works on various OSes or applications. As Security AD, if this was an IETF
protocol I would put up a blocking DISCUSS to address before allowing the
document to proceed.

A well known mistake in this area from within the IETF is that the SMTP
protocol considers the LHS of an email address case sensitive, so paul@ and
Paul@ are considered two different destinations by the protocol and the entire
world of SMTP servers ignore this and treats them as the same.

> But, in GNS, we would never resolve ".alt" or ".gns.alt". Those are just
> "suffixes".
>
> GNS users (or implementors) will ship with Root Zone configurations. E.g.
>
> .com.gns.alt = <somePublicKey>
> .ch.gns.alt = <someOtherPubkicKey>
>
> and the user will be able to resolve "example.ch.gns.alt"
> They will NOT be able to resolve "example.ch.gns.Alt"
> But, they may configure
>
> .ch.gns.Alt = <aThirdPublicKey>
>
> and then it is resolvable.

The average enduser isn’t going to understand or able to change any of this.

> If the application decides that the user expectation is that "example.ch.Alt"
> IS "example.ch.alt", then the application is invited to make the user happy
> accordingly.
> The same is true for subtle differences in case handlings with respect to
> i18n.
> This is not the (GNS) protocol's business.
> Is ".Alt" the same as ".alt"? => Please figure it out application developer!

Whether I own a name now depends on the application developer? That will result
in endusers giving up on your application and/or protocol as well.

> Will a GNS-unaware application leak "example.ch.gns.alt" into DNS if
> "Example.ch.gns.Alt" was not found by GNS? Probably.
> But it will get a NXDOMAIN if the ".alt" TLD is reserved.

Also if .alt is not reserved.

> Again, applications are invited to mitigate such mistakes accordingly.

See above. I am ….. perplexed.

Anyway, we at the IETF are not here to tell you how to do your non-IETF
protocol, but this discussion does feel to me that this draft isn’t very useful
to your protocol and also doesn’t build up my confidence that later on GNS
application developers are told to “help” the user with names not ending in
.alt, eg they end up squatting the entire DNS namespace anyway.

Paul