On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:45 AM Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2022, at 5:52 PM, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> >
> > It appears that Paul Hoffman  <paul.hoff...@icann.org> said:
>
> > 4) Say in English prose that since the DNS ignores ASCII case
> > distinctions, all versions of .alt are excluded from the DNS, but it's
> > up to each non-DNS thing to choose which if any of the versions it
> > uses and it how it interprets them.
>
> That feels best to me.
>
> --Paul Hoffman

I don't see how this works in practice for the consequence of control
moving to nsswitch.conf, and like processes. This feels like it moves
the problem from standards space, to PBCK: Users are going to stuff
this up because the difference between AlT and alT is moot to many
people.

I also don't see how this is going to work for applications-space,
given that two app developers in GNS or other spaces may make
different interpretations of meaning.

I also don't know what the right answer is. I just think this makes as
big a problem as it solves, moving the hole around basically.

(maybe not helpful)

Does this need words which go to the problem?

The lack of certainty around ASCII case is a problem which non-DNS
uses of .alt will have to confront and manage, the DNS does not
constrain the problem,

Something like that?