It appears that Paul Wouters  <p...@nohats.ca> said:
>On Aug 24, 2022, at 11:27, Schanzenbach, Martin <mschanzenb...@posteo.de>
>wrote:
>>
>> GNS, as in the protocol, does *not* consider "Example.gns.Alt" and
>> "Example.gns.alt" to be the same name.
>
>FYI, on many mobile phones, words at the start are automatically capitalized,
>so you are going to experience many user problems if
>your protocol sticks with this assumption. Punting this to the application to
>fix up or punting it to the OS to configure
>duplicates with case differences is going to fragment how well gns works on
>various OSes or applications. As Security AD, if this
>was an IETF protocol I would put up a blocking DISCUSS to address before
>allowing the document to proceed.

So would I, but I think the goal here is to give people plenty of
rope. We hope what they build doesn't end up strangling themselves,
but there is deliberately no review of what people do with .alt.

>A well known mistake in this area from within the IETF is that the SMTP
>protocol considers the LHS of an email address case
>sensitive, so paul@ and Paul@ are considered two different destinations by the
>protocol and the entire world of SMTP servers
>ignore this and treats them as the same.

Many people believe that but it's not entirely true.

While most mail systems treat upper and lower case in local parts the same,
I have occasionally seen setups where you can send mail to sek...@example.com
and other capitalizations bounce.  It's not common, but it has its uses.

Also, as soon as you mention case folding, it gets conflated with a whole
bunch of other common but not universal address mappings like user+ext to
user and (since Gmail) adding and deleting dots.  Then there is the fetid
swamp of no return which is UTF-8 case folding and other normalization.

Hence I would tell people that if they make their names case sensitive
they are likely to be sorry, but I wouldn't try to enforce anything.

R's,
John