It appears that Paul Wouters  <p...@nohats.ca> said:
>On Tue, 10 Jan 2023, Philip Homburg wrote:
>
>[speaking as individual]
>
>>    However, such a setup leaves the application with no control over
>>    which transport the proxy uses.
>
>Why should the application have control over this? If you want to give
>control to the application, what should they control?

I'm with Paul here. If you don't like the way my resolver works, use
another one.

Experience also tells us that if you give users knobs like this, they
will use them even when (especially when) they have no idea what they
are doing.  "Someone said DoH pointing to this site in Russia is
super secure!"

R's,
John