In your letter dated 10 Jan 2023 16:25:14 -0500 you wrote:
>I'm with Paul here. If you don't like the way my resolver works, use
>another one.
>
>Experience also tells us that if you give users knobs like this, they
>will use them even when (especially when) they have no idea what they
>are doing.  "Someone said DoH pointing to this site in Russia is
>super secure!"

I get the impression that you think this draft introduces knobs that don't
exist at the moment.

At the moment it is only a few clicks in Firefox to configure a custom
resolver.

On most operating systems with a GUI (including phones), it is only a few
clicks to configure a custom DNS resolver. And many systems allow direct
editing of /etc/resolv.conf to specify DNS resolvers.

There have been cases in countries with censorship where people were teaching
each other how to select a public resolver to bypass simple DNS-based
censorship techniques.

I don't understand how creating a protocol where such a policy can be expressed
makes a big difference when users are already routinely selecting DNS
resolvers by hand.