In your letter dated 12 Jan 2023 17:25:25 -0500 you wrote:
>> Who benefits from a fake implementation?
>
>Some application demands, I dunno, DoQUIC or something, and refuses to run
>otherwise.  So I install a resolver library that makes the complaints go
>away.

I don't understand. An application requires DoQ even though the local
DNS proxy on a system doesn't support it? How is that application supposed
to work then? Why would an application ship with a configuration that
doesn't work, who benefits

>I'm having trouble coming up with plausible scenarios for this thing
>beyond a handful of us uber-nerds.

One, if no application is going to use it, why are we discussing all the
ways applications would break?

In my expectation more detailed features, such as detailed listing of
protocols, explicit selection of upstreams, etc. are very useful for
diagnostics.

Though there is also the desire to be feature complete. Today, Firefox
allows the user to select DoH to a specific upstream. So the draft would
not be feature complete if that behavior cannot be specified.