On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 7:34 PM Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

> > On 8 Mar 2023, at 11:16, Evan Hunt <e...@isc.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 07, 2023 at 11:15:55AM +0100, Peter Thomassen wrote:
> >> Oops, touché! I stand corrected. Thanks, Mark.
> >>
> >> What I meant is rrtype 0. I used the wrong mnemonic.*
> >
> > IMHO, you're almost definitely correct that NULL (type 10) would be safe
> > use for this. Type 0, thought, would not - it's used internally by name
> > servers in ways that could be pretty difficult to untangle.
>
> NULL would also be difficult to use as they can exist in the wild.

And they do! Don't break my zone please :-)

$ dig +short null.huque.com. NULL | python -c "import
sys,binascii;print(binascii.unhexlify(sys.stdin.readline().split()[-1]))"
b'DNS is weird'

> > I would lean toward using a newly allocated type code, though, because
> I'm
> > 100% sure that wouldn't cause any conflict with existing implementations

Yeah, that's certainly true, and perhaps that should be our primary goal.

I am partly sympathetic to Peter's view that RR type 0 would have been a
natural
fit for this purpose, but the key is "would have been".

The concern about message size constraints is misplaced I think. (Pseudo)
NXDOMAIN compact answers I just examined in a few of my zones are between
350 and 400 octets. So, we have > 1000 octets of buffer in UDP before
problems.
If we look to a future where online signers are double signing with a PQC
algorithm,
type bitmap sizes won't be a  factor - and moving to alternate transports
that don't
have size constraints is more likely (or negotiation of algorithms).

Shumon.