On Tue, 20 Jun 2023, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

If there are different targets for different children of the same parent, then a generic NOTIFY record like below won't work anyway.

   parent.   IN NOTIFY CDS   scheme port scanner.parent.

Why a new RRtype ?
Why more stuff in the APEX?
Why not:

        _notify_cds.parent. IN CNAME targetservice.parent.
        targetservice.parent. IN A .....
        targetservice.parent. IN AAAA .....

I guess if the targets are fairly static, then putting it in the configuration rather than sticking it in the DNS will be good enough.

I would like to not ship such hardcoded lists with my OS :)

Paul